Freeze Drying, The Process Explained
Ever wondered how freeze dried fruit is made, and why it’s different than dehydrated fruit? Check out the simple steps below:
- Freeze drying starts with fresh fruit that is picked when ripe. This way more nutrients are stored and the flavor is just right.
- Brothers All Natural freeze dried fruit is then sliced into bite sized pieces after being cleaned. The fruit is then frozen for a minimum of 24 hours.
- This prepared fruit is then placed into a chamber that has a vacuum to remove the frozen water. This process, called sublimation, takes the ice water and changes it into gas which is removed from the chamber.
- Now the fruit has been freeze dried and all that’s left is packaging it in sealed, oxygen free packets to prevent them from becoming soggy.
- That’s how nutritious and delicious Brothers All Natural fruit crisps are made!
Dehydrated Fruit Vs. Freeze Dried
It’s a common mistake that people think dehydrated fruit is the same as freeze dried. In reality making dehydrated fruit keeps more moisture in the fruit resulting in a chewier bite.
Freeze dried fruit has minimal moisture which results in a crispy, melt in your mouth texture. There are multiple ways to make dehydrated fruit at home while freeze dried requires machinery.
Why Freeze Dry – What Are The Benefits Of Freeze Dried Fruit?
- Freeze dried products require no preservatives and have a long shelf life. (Our fruit crisps have a 2 year shelf life with no artificial flavors or preservatives).
- The nutrition from the original fruit is maintained throughout the process leaving a low cal, low fat, and nutritious snack.
- You can feel good about snacking!
What Does Brothers All Natural Do With Freeze Dried Fruit?
We make allergy friendly, vegan, kosher, and non-GMO family friendly snacks. Our flavors include Apple, Apple Cinnamon, Strawberry Banana, Strawberry, Banana, Peach and Pear! We also have fruit clusters which provide a crunchy way to snack on freeze dried fruit.