Trick-or-Treating is one of the great adventures of Halloween for kids! They get dressed up in their favorite costumes and go door to door, begging for “Tricks-or-Treats!” from neighbors or at local events. Some towns hold Halloween events at community centers or schools so kids can safely do their Trick-or-Treating but going door to door is the stuff childhood memories are made of! Trick-or-Treating should be a fun time without trouble, so following some easy tips can keep your Trick-or-Treaters safe every Halloween:
- Young children should always be accompanied by a responsible adult while trick-or-treating.
- Take time to plan a safe route for older children that are responsible enough to go out on their own so you know where they will be. Set a time for returning home or at a specific meeting place. Make sure they have a cell phone.
- Let your children know not to cut through back alleys and fields if they are out alone. Make them know they need to stay in populated, well lit areas with lots of people around.
- Let your children know the importance of not eating any treats until they bring them home to be examined by you.
- Instruct your children to never go into any homes or cars. Explain why this is not a good idea and what to do if someone approaches them and tries to talk to them.
- Let your children know the importance of staying together as a group if going out to Trick-or-Treat without an adult.
Have a Happy and Safe Halloween!